Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Pension, schmension

Just registered for grad school classes for next year's academic year. Hermeneutics and two Church History courses; another one per quarter. There seems to be neither any point in, nor ability in me for, taking more than that while working full-time.

So, the scenarios roll through my head, and as I mull them, the cartoon-y calendar pages flip rapidly by. I'm fighting against the clock, against the grinding relentlessness of Father Time. When can I cut over to this new career?

2017? Do I try to work for my current employer for 10 years, to qualify for their lucrative retiree health benefits and use my current income stream (and eventually, D's) to get all debts retired before I do? Do I see this teaching thing as a true retirement career, as part-time adjuncting only, probably teaching to adult learners like me instead of to malleable youth?

Or..

2014? At one class per quarter, I would be done in May 2014 and would be looking to get hired for the 2014-15 school year at age 58. Is there really any possibility of being offered a full-time contract at that age? For college undergrads? High Schoolers? Will I still connect with twenty-something-ish people like I can right now?

Or..

2011? If I do one/quarter for the next two academic years, and (assuming D finishes her Accounting degree program by Dec 2009 and is decently employed for all of 2010 & 2011) then quit and go full-time for one year to finish it up.. I'd be looking for a teaching position while still 55. Seems more reasonable at that age to think I could land something full-time teaching to youth, and pull it off. But, definitely more living on the edge financially to get there.

So, I have this pension vested from the employer I'd been with for 17 years (right up until I started this blog.) That has the potential to help fund a career transition to a lower salary level. It's not as rich as a military or government or teacher pension, but it's something. But when do I start to draw on it? And the same for Social Security?

55?
59 1/2?
62?
65?

Of course, the longer you wait to draw, the more per month you get, but.. what is the utility of the money if I'm too old to use it to facilitate the career change I want now? Utility for old age only?

Sometimes advances in medical science really do seem like a blessing. Like when I feel that I'm in the best shape of my life - at my current age. Like today - first time ever running a mile in under 9 minutes.

And I recovered so quickly, I think "why didn't I run longer??" Should've - felt great. :) Better living through chemistry, man. Timothy Leary sure had that part right.

But sometimes medical advances feel like a curse. Like when I do financial planning and I have to think about not just living until I'm 80, but.. for however long past that the medicine of the future will allow. And how the heck am I going to enjoy it if I can't afford it?

Ugh.



And speaking of ugh... not that I know about any of this from personal experience, you understand, but.. here's that haiku on dissipation that I promised you from the weekend's post. I know how you all have been eagerly anticipating it. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?