Thursday, May 22, 2008

Insomnia

My back is empty.
Where is that touch
of cotton, warm soft skin,
or hair that used to brush

against my face, becoming
spiderwebs within my dreams
or keeping me from dropping off
to sleep while holding her? It seems

I miss the toes with nails
like icy glass bits biting
at my calves, or her odd way
of twitching as sleep caught her, fighting

as it were, the very state
she liked so well. Together
these would force me to roll over, 
toss & turn, and pull away from her

so that my back was empty.

It's funny - the irritants
that kept me up I wished
would go away. And so they have;
but sleep comes hard.

And oh, my dear, you're missed.

1 comment:

Future Urban Planner said...

Hmm, I like it! And she does have a weird way of twitching right before hitting the REM cycle- part of my reason why when I do sleep w/ people it has 2 b a queen size bed or bigger. Eh...

Who links to my website?