Sunday, March 11, 2007

What is truth?

That famous comment by Pontius Pilate from John 18:38 was ringing in my head last night and this morning. Was Pilate just jaded and cynical? Did he think that truth was at best situational? Or did he really know what the truth was, and... was afraid of it?

I think the latter. In the verse before, he stands there in dialogue with Truth, personified. Then he makes his cryptic statement. And then, turns right around in the next verse and says to the crowd "I find no fault in Him".

I think he knew Truth when he saw it, when he heard it. But it cut him to the heart because he didn't like its implications, didn't want to have to change what he was inside. He tried to let the crowds act honorably, in his place, but when they didn't, he acquiesced to what was the most expedient thing for the moment.

I think he knew himself - that doing the expedient thing was already his default setting. I think he knew that, in the end, he would let the opinions of others guide his choices.

I think he knew that he would not change who he was inside, not for anyone, and so - tried to make it easier on himself. Truth was staring him in the face, showing him who he was, and he didn't like what he saw. So he dodged it.

And who among us doesn't do the exact same thing?

This, really, is why the Truth was sacrificed later that same day... to pay for those of us who avoid Truth, who do the expedient thing instead (which, in the end, is really not that expedient after all.)

And for those of us who do these things... Truth doesn't just condemn; He forgives!

So do I.

How could I not? For someone like me who daily has so much that needs forgiveness, and's who's already *been* forgiven of so much, so repeatedly, how could I not follow His example and forgive, even if it happens to me again and again?

I must.

God has no illusions about who we are. He forgives, accepts, loves anyway. How can I do less? I need to travel with no illusions about people, about who they are. No rose-colored glasses. Rather... forgive, accept, love.

I must.

And I want to.

No comments:

Who links to my website?