Monday, March 12, 2007

Melancholy Music

Why is it that when you feel melancholy you tend to gravitate to melancholy music? You know, the "play it again, Sam" idea, or the lyrics in Sinatra's "One More For The Road".. the guy drinking alone in a bar, with a sad song on the jukebox that speaks of lost love or grief. Doesn't that just make it worse? Wouldn't happy, goofy music be better?

But you know... I did it to myself last week. I've been trying to fight off melancholia (and stomach acid - you know, the tension kind that feels ulcerous) this whole last week. Thursday I burned a CD full of sad songs that I labeled as "Soundtrack for a Fool" and listened to it over and over. Dumb idea. Once I dug out some livelier latin, dance and house music, it helped. :)

So the last day or two I thought I was doing pretty well, until lunch today when I'm sitting in the local Subway having hot pastrami on a low-carb wrap, and the sound system overhead plays 3 sad emo "you're a loser" kind of songs in a row, and all of a sudden the stomach acid rises, the tears come, and I'm a mess again. Ruined a good pastrami sandwich, besides...

What's the matter with these music programmers? Don't they realize I'm fragile right now?? (sniff!)

:)

I'll be okay - and soon, I hope. I just need to move forward, you know? ..not dwell on what's past. The right music helps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now i just need to figure out what that 'right' music is..

Who links to my website?