Tuesday, March 13, 2007

SemPM and Corporate Security

Um... what?!? What kind of a title is that?

Convoluted.

I know. That's me, baby. :)

Two conversations of note this morning at the office.

First, on my way in.

I'm entering the complex, and... a security gate has malfunctioned between two buildings and there is suddenly no way to get there from here. There's a half-dozen people fiddling with it, some working, some kibitzing, and a crowd has gathered to watch. Ooh, ooh, I wanna see, too! :)

But then I do something naughty. I whip out my cell phone and take a picture of the festivities, to wit:

At which point, a blue-suited guy with an ex-military air comes over and says "just who do you work for? Are you an employee?" Woah! He goes on to tell me that it's company policy that no one can take photos in the building unless you're with corporate communications. Well, excuuuuuuse me. :)

So I fold it up and put it away, and start tapping on my Blackberry, just doing some email while I wait. Then he starts shooing the crowd away telling us to go outside and use another entrance. People begin to drift off, and I'm finishing up an email. He comes over and says again: "who is your supervisor? I'm just trying to help you here."

At that point I got mad and said "Oh, give me a break, you're not trying to help me, you just suspect me of being a troublemaker. This is a corporate-issued Blackberry, on which I'm doing company work, which you are impeding. Who is *your* supervisor?" He left me alone. And then I took his picture, too. :) Pfbbbbt!

Second conversation was back at my desk. Got a call from the assoc. registrar at school (the main campus in the Twin Cities.) I had inquired about transferring to the regular seminary from this East Coast extension campus, and wanted some info about their evening program, which they call SemPM.

It's cohort-based, offers my preferred major, runs 3 years, all classes on Monday nights, cranking through 4 credits every 5 weeks. Wow. Lots of work... detailed information is en route.

But! There's another option of which I was unaware. They have made a "catalog committment" to having all the courses which are available to their regular daytime seminary students also available to them on Tuesday and Thursday nights over a period of several years.

So, I don't *have* to do the canned 3 year intensive approach, but could lighten it up if need be and go a little slower if I had to. That's nice to know. :) This quarter doing 8 credits in 10 weeks with full-time employment on top has been ... well, it's been a lot.

Hm. This school thing is looking better all the time. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?