Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Music Review: The Flaming Lips, Neko Case, Goo Goo Dolls

Before I begin, I've been studying along to some ambient electronic music that I stumbled across and downloaded recently. Interesting website concept - netlabel. Hm.

This first band provided me with some comic relief in TS501 last week. :) We were discussing doing theology as a second-order reflection, serving to mediate Christianity to culture. The question was "how much should we accommodate Christianity to culture? do we risk draining it of its transforming qualities if we allow culture to subsume it? at what point do we become culture-chasers?" We were discussing postmodernism and the "emerging church" movement that embraces aspects of this philosophy, sometimes a tad too readily.

At a lull in the discussion, I say: "Man, now I don't know what to do. What music do I listen to in my car - Jars of Clay or The Flaming Lips? Does it depend on if I'm driving to church, or to Dunn Bros. for coffee? What if we serve Dunn Bros. coffee at church?" Big laugh there from most of the class. So thanks, Lips.. sometimes theology is too serious.

So, The Flaming Lips - three CDs to review: "At War With the Mystics", "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots", "The Soft Bulletin"

I'm not sure what I was expecting. :) Quirkiness? Yes. Something odd, but appealing? Yes. The only song I'd ever heard of theirs before was "Do You Realize?", and could that possibly be representative of their body of work?

Well.. yes and no. :) Of course, now that it's used as the soundtrack to a Ford Ranger commercial, I automatically have to think less of it. ;) But.. it's a lovely song. Definitely evokes strong feelings..

As I listened more and more, I couldn't shake the thought that if Brian Wilson had been born 20 years later, he might have been the Lips' Wayne Coyne. ;) Neither one of them has that great a solo voice, but when they put instruments and background harmonies together with the weak voice, they soar! And the weird effects behind the music, the knack for a commercial hook, the ability to evoke feeling.. the uniqueness of the overall sound.. very similar. I'll have to dig out "Pet Sounds" again, and the reissued "Smile" album, and give Wilson's productions another listen. Then listen to Coyne's again. :) Yep.. about 20 years. That's the difference.

There certainly are some odd tracks on these albums that I can barely get through. Talking, squeaking, squalling. The ones I think they do best are the ones that are more atmospheric, and set a contemplative mood. You could read a Douglas Coupland novel to them! ;) They fit together. Favorites by album:

"TSB" - Feeling Yourself Disintegrate, Sleeping on the Roof, Suddenly Everything Has Changed, The Spark That Bled, The Observer, Waiting For A Superman, What Is The Light?

"YBTPR" - Do You Realize?, All We Have Is Now, Fight Test (pretty hard to listen to.. those lyrics.. :( ), Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon, Are You A Hypnotist?, It's Summertime

"AWWTM" - The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Vein of Stars (not exactly original thought here, but the music is way prettier than John Lennon's "Imagine"), It Overtakes Me (this one is almost symphonic, with 3 movements), Mr. Ambulance Driver, My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion, Pompeii AM Gotterdammerung, The Sound Of Failure (another one with movements)

So, thumbs up for these guys. Mostly. :) Oh, and, I'm not really sure Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody really needed to be covered by anyone (it's on AWWTM). It's pretty perfect as is. :) It's kind of like Michael Buble' covering their Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Not really necessary, thanks. Some things are better left alone. ;)



Neko Case - "Furnace Room Lullaby": Wow. Wowowow. :) This girl can sing! I once described her to someone as "Imogen Heap and Rilo Kiley together, if the combination of the two were also channeling Johnny Cash" ;) It's even more true after hearing this CD. I have a couple of her newer CDs ("Blacklisted" and "Fox Confessor Brings The Flood"), where she is a little further from her country roots and a bit more alternative with every release, but this older one is a real gem. Best of the lot, I think.

Every track is good, with my favorites being the title track, plus "Mood To Burn Bridges", "Porchlight", and the absolutely gorgeous little song "No Need To Cry". You say that, Neko, sure, but every time I hear the song I want to! ;) She uses a lot of 3/4 and 12/8 meter, and minor chords, and so it has a romantic melancholy to it. And that, of course.. suits me! :) If I had an extra thumb.. I'd have three up for this one. :)

By the way, if you want to check out "Fox Confessor", I'd recommend downloading these tracks: "That Teenage Feeling" (mmm...), "Lion's Jaws", "Maybe Sparrow", and "The Needle Has Landed".

Goo Goo Dolls - "Greatest Hits, Vol. 1: The Singles": Mmmmm... Beginning with Iris (boy do I wish I would've had that song handy a while back..) and ending with Better Days (really good song for Christmas), this is a terrific greatest hits album; nothing marginal on here at all. Terrific sound, well-turned lyrics, melodic hooks, great balance of guitars, vocals, strings, synth, drum.. really, really, good. :)

Where was I when these guys were coming up? Busy, I guess.. Oh, well - it's never too late to catch on to something good! Two thumbs up! :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?