Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Midnight Mass

..was about the coolest service ever. :)

I've never experienced anything like it. :) From the beautiful sanctuary lighting to the music (combined choirs and bell choir, with tympani and strings), to the dramatic and powerful readings, to the incense waved all around the altar, to the congregation all bringing bells from home and ringing them during the Gloria.. it was so grand.

And when the lights dimmed and the lector read about the Light coming into the world and persisting, undimmed, against the darkness of the world all around us, with the ancient words of the prophet Isaiah ringing through the sanctuary, and the pastor following with his homily along the same lines, it was such a beautiful combination of pageantry and simplicity.. my heart just wanted to break with the beauty of it.

And while I went, as always, so very grateful for mercy, and with my heart full of prayers for those I love and hold dear.. for the first time I began to experience what I understand is core to the Catholic mindset - a sense of communality in our shared journey of faith.

Kneeling in prayer before the service began, my prayers focused less on my heart's preparation and more on the people assembled there - that God would prepare for Himself a people, these people, whose hearts would be open before Him to receive Him and ready for transformation by Him. It was almost pastoral prayer.. as if these people were my charge, under my care.. I wondered at what God was doing in my heart this Christmas for this kind of prayer to come unbidden to my thoughts. I still wonder at it this morning.

And now it's off to see the extended family, and from there to say farewell and Godspeed to the kids as they head back to the home's-not-yet-here-but-no-longer-with-you-either places where they live.

Good Christmas to you, dear reader. May the Light persist, undimmed, through whatever darkness you face this winter. Take heart: joy will come again to you..

and to me.

No comments:

Who links to my website?