Thursday, November 01, 2007

Music Reviews: Matisyahu, Radiohead, etc.

Today I begin a new feature for my loyal readers. Even if you didn't exactly ask for it.. perhaps there's someone out there who will like reading these. :)

Intermittently, as I accumulate enough to discuss, I'll take a look at some "current" music I've run across. By current I mean, oh.. within the last 10 years. Hey, for a guy my age, that's pretty current. ;)

In fact, the topic of favorite music came up at the RCIA classes last week, on our break. The leader for the evening, roughly 40, was saying that he's stuck in the music of his college years, doesn't really listen to anything else, and he's feeling kind of out of it. My advice to him: as you age, start listening to progressively younger and younger music. Keeps you from getting early onset of Alzheimer's. At least that's my theory. ;)

And speaking of my age, it turned over again recently. But the day before my 52nd birthday, I ran for a new personal best for distance. Decent pace, too - for me, that is. But the weather has turned sharply colder now - I may hang up my Reeboks for the season. It's time.

I think it's good to wrap up a certain season of your life on a high note, you know? Happily? At your best? I found that out recently, and I think it's a good way to remember things you've enjoyed. And whether you decide to get back to it someday.. or not.. you'll always remember it fondly. So even if it didn't always go perfectly in the middle.. choose to finish well. :)


So here's the lineup for this edition:

Matisyahu - "No Place To Be": Hasidic Jewish Reggae. Yeah. It's a little different. But I like it. Jerusalem and Message In A Bottle are my favorites. There are some remixes that I can do without, but.. as you read these reviews, you'll find that to be a pattern of mine. I usually like the originals. :) Anyway, two thumbs up for this artist and CD.

Matt Pond PA - "Several Arrows Later": I like this guy's voice. This is pretty much "mainstream" alternative music (if you can wrap your head around that oxymoron), although iTunes classifies it as rock. He made a big splash with his Champagne Supernova single, which made it to the soundtrack of the TV show "The O.C.", and yeah, it's a good track, though not on this CD. Pick up the single! :) Favorites on this CD: City Song, It Is Safe, the title track, So Much Trouble, Devil In The Water.. most all are good. Thumbs up for Matt Pond. :)

The Cardigans - "Super Extra Gravity": Edgy female lead singer, strong rock feel, but not too heavy. Pretty good stuff. One stray track out there on iTunes to check out for those of you who were listening to rock music in 1970.. they do a cover of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" that made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it. And as I kept listening to it, I actually began to like it better than the original. Makes it sound like a jazz tune. Weird, but good. Also, there's a track they do with Tom Jones (yes, the real "It's Not Unusual" Tom Jones) called "Burning Down The House", which is a treat, too. But, back to task; favorites on this CD: And Then You Kissed Me, Drip Drop Teardrop, Don't Blame Your Daughter, I Need Some Fine Wine (and You, You Need To Be Nicer), Overload. Thumbs up. :)

The Apples In Stereo - "The Discovery Of A World Inside The Moone": this band has a retro-60's sound that sort of sounds like a cross between the Partridge Family and the Mamas and the Papas (complete with tambourine), with some Beatles thrown in for spice. Fun to listen to, mostly, but with a couple of oddball tracks. Favorites on this CD: Go ("go, baby!"), I Can't Believe, Look Away, The Bird That You Can't See. Thumbs up. :)

Cat Power - "The Greatest": This to me is Alternative Country. Very much a country-folky feel, but with an alternative ethos. ;) The singer reminds me of Neko Case, but without nearly as much edge. Simple piano and guitar, with light drums and some strings. I'd put this in a category of decent background music, for reading or chilling. But you sort of have to like a lonesome sound. And sometimes I do. :) No real standout tracks, except maybe the title track. One thumb up.

Manual & Syntaks - "Golden Sun": Nice! Electronic music, and really good for a background for studying. Mostly melodic, vaguely jazzy, without a lot of extraneous electronic noise. No "favorites" as such - I really liked every track. Two thumbs up!

Beth Orton - "Comfort of Strangers": Hm. I kept listening to her, and listening to her, thinking that I *ought* to like her, but.. she never grew on me at all. :( I think it was her voice. It was a little too grating, and her lyrics didn't help matters. They are either harsh or sad, which kind of goes with her voice, I guess. Even her single "Conceived" was more disturbing than enjoyable. I know people like her, but I'm not really sure why, so.. no thumbs up. :( Although.. I will keep listening.

Colbie Caillat: "Coco": Now *this* girl has a pretty voice! :) The CD is pretty much straight pop, lots of romantic songs, you know the kind.. we need to break up, please let's not break up, isn't new love wonderful, I messed up and you're better off without me, I forgive you so don't leave, I'm depressed because we're not together, I'm scared of how great our future looks together.. all the same old themes. ;) But she sings so nice.. I can't help but want to listen over and over. Her current big single is "Bubbly". It's a little too catchy. I like others better, like Oxygen, The Little Things, One Fine Wire, Tied Down, Realize, Midnight Bottle. Two thumbs up! :)

Radiohead - "In Rainbows": This is the pay-what-you-want-to-pay downloadable album that stunned the music industry last month. I loved it! I'm not a huge Radiohead fan like some people, but this CD was terrific! Much less like OK Computer, and more like a throwback to songs like Nice Dream. Favorites: 15 Step, Videotape, Reckoner. Two thumbs Up! :) If I had a third thumb, it would be up, too.

So, hope you all liked this .. and if not, too bad! :) Someone out there will, though.. I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, you're right, someone will like it.

i was just thinking this morning on my way to genetics class that i needed some new music to listen to.. and i've never been the one to go searching for music, you know? just the one to mooch off everyone else and make my opinions from there heh.

so thanks.

and, additionally, that cd you gave, gostation's not enough is pretty cool :)

Who links to my website?