Sunday, November 18, 2007

Music Reviews: Maritime, Sara Groves, etc.

Before I launch into the reviews.. what a nice day. :) (as in the Jewish day, which runs from sunset to sunset) Went to a CD release gig last night at a local college.. first time at a release party for me. Center aisle, two rows off the stage. Really good show, nice music. Fun! :) Then 9 hours of sleep.. mmmm. And on the road for 3 hours to go see my old friend TJ get ordained as a pastor. Very cool. I sang duets in church with his wife, K, when she was just this little girl (and then again years later as a mom with little girls of her own.) Nice to spend the day with old friends. :)

Sara Groves is a newish favorite singer. I heard her songs being played this summer for pre-worship music at a church with a contemporary service, and found it so intriguing that I had to go ask the sound guy what he was playing. She has a voice that is much like many of the modern female singers who do Alternative music and are on the local stations. Uses mostly acoustic arrangements, which suits her. The concert was great - a good opening act, really good seats for D and me and she put on a very intimate show. Anyway, the new CD isn't my favorite of hers.. so I'll review another that I think is one of her best.

Sara Groves - "Add To The Beauty": She sings equally well about human relationships and spiritual things. Such an easy style, and a well-honed delivery. Goes back and forth across her break smoothly. The arrangements have the right balance of strings and percussion. You might say they are a little "over-produced", but.. still solid across the board - all songs are good. Two thumbs up! "When It Was Over" is an absolutely great track to listen to, but my favorite track (by far) is "Loving A Person"; in fact, at the end of this blog entry, I'll post the lyrics. Lovely. And so true. :)

Caribou - "Start Breaking My Heart": Formerly known as Manitoba, this electronic music group from Canada has a few bright spots on this CD, but you really have to love the genre of electronic music, be a connoisseur of it, to go for this one.. a few tracks made the studying playlist, but I can't recommend it overall. No thumbs up. :(

Maritime - "Glass Floor": This one's interesting. Cool cover art, but beyond that, the lead singer's voice - it's good, but it doesn't quite fit the range of the songs on the CD. His voice comes alive with a simple acoustic arrangement or with some strings, but gets buried when the band amps it up and rocks out. For that reason only, this review is mixed. But when a track is good, it's really good! :) Good tracks to download: I'm Not Afraid, A Night Like This, Sleep Around, Human Beings. If All My Days Go By, James, We've Got To Get Out are also not too bad, if just for the tambourine and the upbeat tempo & chord changes. ;) One thumb up.



"Loving A Person" by Sara Groves

Loving a person just the way they are, it's no small thing
It takes some time to see things through
Sometimes things change, sometimes we're waiting
We need grace either way

Hold on to me
I'll hold on to you
Let's find out the beauty of seeing things through

There's a lot of pain in reaching out and trying
It's a vulnerable place to be
Love and pride can't occupy the same spaces baby
Only one makes you free

Hold on to me
I'll hold on to you
Let's find out the beauty of seeing things through

If we go looking for offense
We're going to find it
If we go looking for real love
We're going to find it



:) Yeah. I get this.

No comments:

Who links to my website?