Sunday, November 25, 2007

Incense!

Yeah! Finally got to see them use it in a Mass. :)

I guess it was only because yesterday they were blessing ("dedicating", for the Evangelicals among my readership) a new icon (highly stylized piece of religious artwork) for the sanctuary (the part of the church building where.. oh, ha. just kidding. ;) Now that we are once again attending a church on Sundays that meets in a school gym, I nearly forgot that some Evangelicals actually do worship in a sanctuary!) So the priest got the censer thing going, and when it was smoking waved it front of the icon while we sang "For All The Saints", and the scent wafted its way gradually across the sanctuary to where I sat. Mmmm... so nice.

Spicy and sweet and charcoal-y smelling. Yay! I wish they'd do that more often, but I guess they save it for special occasions or something. So, it finally brought that last of my 5 senses into play in worship. :) 'Bout time, too! I mean, what else was I going to do? Insist that they use only scented tealights? Request the ritual, communal wearing of perfume and cologne by the faith community? ;) Regardless, it's one of the things I enjoy most about Catholicism - all my senses are engaged. :)

Several good ol' protestant-y hymns (or at least that's how I think of them - especially if I already know both the bass and the tenor line by heart) were part of the service, too, although some could be Catholic in origin, who knows? "Crown Him With Many Crowns", "Crown Him Lord of All", "As The Deer", "Lift High The Cross" - an all around good service, although Fr. Fitz was a little overcome by the dedication part. He had to collect himself before he could move on. Aww.. it was kind of sweet. :) He's got a big heart.

It was also the end of the liturgical year, and the three-year cycle of the missal (sp?), so starting next Sunday it's Advent and the start of a new liturgical year and a new three-year cycle of readings. Hm. Interesting process, that. There is a sense of fellowship with other Catholics all around the world who are hearing the same Scriptures that you are, and also with other churches that do the same thing. Episcopal, UCC, maybe? I'm not sure who all does that, but I know some Protestants do.

Anyway, if you have loved ones who are Catholic, but you're separated by distance.. you know you are sharing in the same Mass as they are, hearing the Word the same. And there's always time in the service to pray for them silently, too - before the Mass starts, during the communal prayer time, while the Eucharist is being served. And people do pray, too - not many are talking or looking around. It's nice. I like to think about people earnestly bringing their concerns to God. And I personally put that time to good use. :)

Happened to run into my sponsor there (the person the church assigned to "mentor" me during the RCIA process and, I guess, keep up with progress later on, though I can't see that being as crucial as it is beforehand where they need to answer questions and be able to testify to the catechumen's faith during the Rites of Initiation, etc.)

So... I asked her about veneration. This topic still sticks in my craw. It smacks of worship of things other than God. She explained it was a semantic difference in what is meant by the word, and I guess I follow that, but.. I don't know. I have to think about it some. Separating Church teaching from actual practice is important right now. I have to know which is which. What is it exactly that I'm signing on for here, you know?

The new Sunday morning church is working out well. :) Today was a rapid overview of the entire Old Testament, done in "Masterpiece Theatre" style, the pastor reading while in an upholstered armchair with Tiffany lamp, some hilarious visuals complete with clips of Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Leave it to Beaver, Darth Vader, Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons, etc. Somehow it all worked. :) Very, very casual place, this. I think I'll keep wearing my jeans & t-shirt. ;)

Actually this is working out well: the mystery, beauty and pageantry of the ancient faith on Saturdays, and the casual, laid-back, simple practicality of the modern faith on Sundays. I have both. It's good. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?