Saturday, November 24, 2007

Yo! Credo, bro..

It means "I believe" in Latin. And it's what my theology prof calls the two major papers due this quarter - our "credo papers". I think the other profs have agreed to carry on this same idea in the next two quarters as well, as I move into TS 502 and 503. In these, we are asked to pick a topic within the doctrine we are studying (Doctrine of Scripture, Doctrine of God), ask a thesis question pertaining to the topic, and proceed to answer it in about 1500 words. Make that 2000 words for me. ;) Yak, yak, yak..

So my first credo paper was on whether or not Scripture is self-attesting. Nope. :) Needs affirmation by the community of believers. The second (first draft yesterday, final today) is on whether or not the trinitarian nature of God is the core of the Christian faith, essential for salvation, necessary for our understanding of God, etc. Nope. :) And hey, with all respect to those theologians who argue this way.... that is so whack! ;)

Not that I'm not trinitarian, you understand.. but if I was or I wasn't.. and at this point I ain't sayin', yallknowhamsayn?.. what I *am* sayin' is that it certainly makes no difference to God, and is not that crucial to my Christian faith or my ability to jus be hangin wit' my homes, dawg, chillin' wit' my peeps, yea, all up on that, word? (um, read: fellowship with other Christians) - or at least it *shouldn't* matter. A quick review of Micah 6:8, James 1:27, Hebrews 11:6 and Romans 10:9-10 should make it clear what does make a difference, what does matter to God and to my faith.

It's pretty simple, really. Tough to live out, but simple to understand. Simple enough for a child to understand. And if I remember right, Jesus taught something along those lines, yes? About childlike faith? And what the God-man J say.. yea, that ain't whack - all His stuff is fly and tight, son.

I'm starting to think that theologians need to go back to Sunday School and see some Bible story puppets again. :) Then, take their theo-janx to the street and see if they can get anybody real to pick up on it. And yo, if they can't, maybe it cuz they totally lunchin'.

Peaceout. One.

No comments:

Who links to my website?