Wednesday, March 04, 2009

So much for Switzerland.

Oh well. It was fun to think about it, anyway. Some other year.

The company's tough fourth quarter has produced ratings downgrades, salary freezes, and a new CEO. Even though the poor results were not driven by operations but by the financial markets, and even though there was a healthy outside capital infusion, there is still pressure internally to keep a lid on expenses, so...

Travel budgets have been slashed, and all unnecessary travel cancelled, including large group meetings drawing together people from multiple continents. Nuts. We'll do a video conference instead at the end of the month. Not quite the same as a handshake and a chat over lunch, but.. it is cheaper.

Still, travel for both critical business reasons and for required continuing ed credits is okay, so I am off next week to a technical seminar to acquire a few of those elusive CEUs. It's only Vegas, where I've been enough that it isn't a thrill to visit anymore, but it is at least warmer. It also allows for a little out-of-my-own-pocket jaunt over the Sierras to see J1 for 24 hours. That'll be fun.

And if I can finish the rough draft of my HS501 paper before I go, I can have a clear conscience to boot. :) Tonight! (if the Marquette/Pitt game doesn't distract me.)

No comments:

Who links to my website?