Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour (updated)

So yesterday I get this message from corporate headquarters:



This coming Saturday, March 28 at 8:30 p.m. (in each time zone), people around the world will turn their lights off for one hour - Earth Hour. Created by WWF, Earth Hour asks households and businesses across the globe to turn off their lights and electrical appliances for one hour. The aim is to raise awareness of the need to take action on climate change.

The following offices will go dark for one hour on Saturday evening: London, Folkestone, Gloucester and Telford, Asia-Pacific, Zurich, Armonk, Amstelveen, Manchester, Kansas City, Fort Wayne, Johannesburg, Mexico City, Madrid, Rome, Milano, Munich and Paris. * Please note: computer systems and services will not be affected, and anyone needing to work in the office during that time may turn on their office lights manually.

Click to read more about Earth Hour:



Yes, sirs! Guess I'll be a good corporate citizen, as well as a good planetary one. :)



Oh, hey, but is it just lights? Or is it television, too? I mean, the NCAA is on, man! Can I watch TV in the dark, and still be in compliance...

**********

8:50PM Saturday.

The Villanova/Pitt game ended right on time. :) Good job, boys.

I just stuck my head outside to see if anyone else in the neighborhood is participating. It's actually surprisingly dark! A lot of houses are off-line. I can see that the next door neighbors have candles burning.

Same here. There's a candle going in every room. And with one candle lit I can still see to type. I feel like a monk in the middle ages, scribing away by candlelight. :)

Except I'm using a keyboard, and the light from the screen on the Mac helps a bit, too. :P

No comments:

Who links to my website?