Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pretty Squirrely



Can't think of a better word.

These guys are as peculiar as ever. Top hats with feather plumes, rockabilly guitars, Hammond B-3 sound on the keys, and a horn section playing ska.

Boy, roll back the clock 15 years.







Some in the crowd were just as peculiar, wearing fez hats (Shriners!)



The demographic was distinctly different last night than for most shows I attend at The Varsity.


Usually I am one of the few people post-40, much less post-50. Last night, I was hard pressed to spot anyone under 30. But what few there were seemed to cluster near my table, asking me if I was reading that for a class, if I knew how to swing dance, would I watch her purse, etc., etc.


Um, yes to all. :)

And I wasn't the only guy who brought his book as a date. There was a kindred spirit in the crowd. :)



But I missed having my regular dancing partner (an evening class in Statistics can cramp a girl's style, apparently.) The opening act was the Twin Cities Hot Club, a Django Rheinhart / Stephane Grappelli style combo who we'd seen twice before, and the middle of the dance floor was actually used for - gasp! - dancing.



They actually had a dance contest. Fun to watch. I limited my involvement to a whirl or two behind the merchandise table (thanks, Natalie) and chatting up the dancers afterwards to find out where they go to swing.



Famous Dave's BBQ in Uptown Monday nights. Who knew?

That's one I'll have to check out. With someone who knows how. Ready, D?

2 comments:

Future Urban Planner said...

For clarification sake- D laughed when I said I thought that the Squirrel Nut Zippers had broken up-I think she thought that I'd said they were dead- no- ***disbanded*** not deceased (LOL) But correct me if I'm wrong- wasn't one of the beloved swing bands officially disbanded? If not at least awhile ago- was it Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? You don't have to post this, but if she shared w/ you what she perceived to be my reaction, for the record I thought they had merely disbanded. Have you ever heard of Lee Rocker/ He was part of the Stray Cats (Brian Setzer)

Bill said...

Royal Crown Review?
Indigo Swing?

And yes, I have a CD by Lee Rocker. Very Elvis-y. :)

Who links to my website?