Friday, March 20, 2009

The Artistic Caveman

Came across this great little column on the arts in my local weekly newsletter from the archdiocese. I won't rehash it all for you, just click through to read it, but simply put the author is articulating the idea that early cave art is evidence of the innate creativity of the human species, and a mark of the Imago Dei in us. And while interpreted within culture, art certainly transcends culture as well. Art has cross-cultural appeal simply because it is basic to our humanity.

Good article, great point. Plus, it's nice to see an Art History major making good outside of the bowels of a museum.

I do love the Catholic Church's emphasis on art. Art has a place in the sacraments, and certainly is used in sacramentals. Art is a facilitator to worship and to a richer understanding of the human condition, including our relationship to God and each other, for good or ill.

It's one of the things that the Reformation threw out when they broke away from what they saw as a corrupted institution. Too bad they were unable to discern that it was the hearts of men that needed reform, and not the accoutrements of the church in which those men wielded power.

Last Saturday I read at Mass. It had been awhile, and it was nice to be "Proclaimer of the Word" again. :) My OT passage was from Exodus, the decalogue. I loved the chance to thunder: "for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but..." 

(and here a loooong pause after "but"), then to finish tenderly: "... showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Hm. Someone among my ancestors must have loved and obeyed. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?