Monday, July 21, 2008

Training Day(s)

There's a good reason to sweat going into the office down here.

Or more precisely to sweat *leaving* the office. When I drove back to the hotel Monday after the training class, the average of three different temperature readings was... 101! Ugh.

The training itself was better than I expected (but then again I didn't expect much.) To start with, the two trainers were named Graham and Raoul. One was a Brit and the other from Switzerland. The accents were charming.

Raoul spoke "Swinglish", as he called it, complicated by the fact that neither English or Swiss-German were his native language. Graham had me fascinated with the different words and pronunciations he brought with him from London. I made a list. :)

There were the usual, like "lift" for elevator, but there were several others I hadn't heard. Instead of being on the witness stand, one was "in the dock." We ate lunch in the "canteen" instead of the cafeteria.

Instead of an org chart, we reviewed an "organogram." Apparently he would prefer that we "flog" a dead horse rather than beat one. Daily drudgery became daily "muck & mire", and a class training manual became the "brochure" (pronounced BROshur.)

Other pronunciation was different, such as PROcess (with a long O sound), and conSULtative instead of consulTAtive. The premise for a meeting was pronounced "premIZE", and while became "whilst", etc. Fascinating.

From the content of the class itself, several things became interesting in application outside of work, such as how we filter information, relationship needs, duty vs desire, and others.

But that, folks... is for another post on another day. I'm off to dinner, and then homework. Case studies to read. Yikes!

Keeps me off the streets, I guess. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?