Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Final Tune Up

Today was my last run before the 5K this weekend. I'm following the advice of my friend SQ (who ran a half-marathon in May, so he knows the topic.) I've proven to myself now that I can actually go the distance, so don't need to tire myself out in getting ready, and will have 2 full days of layoff now before Saturday morning dawns.

I wonder if I'll be running in the rain. It's nice today but will get hot and sticky by Friday and a storm will go through Friday night. Maybe.. I keep thinking that the weather here behaves like Milwaukee, where things stall at the Lake, and you never know when it will move on. But I think here the weather systems do move though sort of on time. So we'll see..

Anyway, I only ran a mile and a half today, but at a good pace. If only I could simply double that pace, I'd be golden on Saturday! :) But, yeah.. I'd need some really pumped up music on the iPod Shuffle to push me along like that on the *second* mile and a half. ;)

I did settle on the final set list for the run, though:

Mile 1:
On Her Majesty's Secret Service; Propellerheads; 9:23 (I'll want to pass the mile marker before the last chorus..)


Next half-mile:
Dangerous; Doobie Brothers; 5:03 (this should easily get me to 1.5 on time. I love this tune. It rawks, dude. :P)


Next mile:

(These are all at a good sustainable pace through a section of the distance where all I want to do is quit!)

Una Mas Cerveza; Texas Tornados; 2:40
Luck Be A Lady; Frank Sinatra; 5:16
Bright Lights; The Pogues; 2:33 (I'd love to just skip past this one if I can hit the 2.5 mark while still listening to Frank.)


Final Stretch:
Shine; Frank Vignola's Hot Club USA; 4:07
Hot Pot Boogie; Indigo Swing; 3:04

(Both are way too fast to match my stride to the beat, but... they make me happy. And if I'm happy, I run faster.)



I've been keeping track of my runs since the doctor scolded me at Christmas. So I discovered today that since Jan. 17, I've run over 100 miles. Wow. The old guy hisself. I would never have thought it possible even 3 years ago. Now I actually think that a 5K race is do-able. Man, oh man. I must be nuts.

OK. I think I'm ready.

No comments:

Who links to my website?