Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Grapevines as a marker?

Readers of this blog will remember that a few weeks ago I planted grapevines, in hopes of making some wine from their fruit in a few years. I've made pretty decent wine from juice for a long time now, but never attempted the whole process from start to finish, taking it from plant to bottle.



Friday afternoon I went to check on them after a rain, and oh! they've grown. :) I actually caught myself talking to a couple of the plants and saying "Awww, well, look at youuuu! How *big* you've gotten!" :) Like they were new babies or something...



It's a long, slow process, growing grapes. It's three years before they even start to bear fruit, and a couple more after that before any wine made from them will be drinkable.

You have to protect the tender shoots until the trunk gets strong and tough, and carefully watch the leaves after that, because there are pests and diseases and herbivores and storms and droughts...

(do you see an analogy coming?) ;)

So it reminds me a bit of the long, slow process of changing thought patterns and behaviors, of making better choices, in the midst of living out life with its challenges day to day. It may take several years to get there, but one has to start somewhere...

A lot has happened in my life and in my relationships this Spring (April through June.) A lot.

I'm setting new directions, reinforcing relationships new and old, creating wonderful memories, making better choices, establishing healthier patterns of thought and behavior. But they may all take quite a while to come to maturity in a way that's visible, tangible and enjoyable to those around me. Just like wine from new vines.

Maybe I can look at these vines, as they mature and get big, get loaded with fruit, and then harvested and processed, and think... here's what I did in Spring of 2008. In my yard... and in my life. :)

Look. Smell. Taste.

It's good.

No comments:

Who links to my website?