Thursday, July 10, 2008

Music Reviews: Bob Marley, Hjálmar, Michael Franti, Sam Sparro

This is sort of "music reviews: reggae edition". :)

Hjálmar - "Hljóðlega Af Stað": Um... yeah. Whatever that means. It's Icelandic reggae, so you go figure. Brings back memories of my visit there (nearly two years ago now!) In fact I vaguely remember seeing this title in a record shop in downtown Reykjavik, and wondering if anyone I knew would like it. ;)

The beats and style are definitely reggae, though the vocals could be stronger. And as far as what philosophy they're communicating... who knows? I assume it's rasta-friendly. :) All tracks made the studying playlist, since the lyrics won't engage my otherwise-occupied brain. Favorites: Borgin, Bréfið, Hljóðlega Af Stað, Svarið (ha - I just picked some of these because I love the little ð character...)

Next I think I'll review some of the master of the genre. Old Bob Marley his own self.

Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Exodus", "Burnin'": These two album are from 1977 and 1973, respectively. But they are the standard against which all other reggae is measured, and the influence that still ripples through the entire genre. You know.. one love; peace out. All that.

Maybe the horns on these arrangements aren't as prevalent today, the tempos aren't quite as laid back now, and perhaps the bass is a little less forward in modern reggae than in these recordings, but the rest is there. Marley's understated and easy lead vocal does the call and response with the choral-sounding backup vocals, in what feels sometimes like the 1970's funky soul gospel of Andre' Crouch & The Disciples, just... with a different agenda for how to achieve love, peace and harmony. :)

Favorites: from Exodus - One Love/People Get Ready, Natural Mystic, So Much Things To Say, Three Little Birds, Turn Your Lights Down Low (mmhmm.) From Burnin' - NOT "I Shot The Sheriff." I like Clapton's version much better. :) But I did like Duppy Conqueror, No Sympathy, Get Up Stand Up, One Foundation, Pass It On, Put It On.

Michael Franti and Spearhead - "Yell Fire!": I'm not sure what you'd call this guy's music. iTunes says "world" in one place and "hip-hop" in another. A lot of it sounds like reggae to me. And, listening to the lyrics, it is clearly motivated by a certain worldview, as reggae can often be.

But the dude can also just plain sing (exs: I Know I'm Not Alone, See You In The Light, Is Love Enough - the first two being pretty decent pop songs, the third more of a folk/rock lament.) Favorites: the aforementioned tracks plus One Step Closer To You, Sweet Little Lies. Nice CD.

Sam Sparro - "Sam Sparro": Debut CD in America from a UK artist. Okay, this is not reggae, but modern versions of old-school beats, a'la Gnarls Barkley. Cool. (Speaking of Gnarls, I need to get my hands on his newest: "Odd Couple" - c'mon library, hurry it up!) Like Barkley, Sparro has a great voice and is backed by techno, funk, DJ, soul... really good stuff, and fun. :) Favorites: Black and Gold, 21st Century Life, Still Hungry, Too Many Questions, Waiting For Time, Pocket, Sally, Cut Me Loose.

Oooh, and I just happened to see that Imogen Heap has a new single out on iTunes. ;) It's good, too. Very much her usual style, with lyrics that you can apply to more than one kind of situation. You apply them your way... I'll apply them mine. :P

So does that mean a new CD from her is coming? Hope so. She's due. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?