Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Music Reviews: Beck, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Duffy, Jimmy Eat World

A mixed bag here, for sure. And soon, with a trip to KC coming up next week, another batch of odds and ends to come.

But before I dive into the material, I have to say... Sesame Street is getting so modern. :) Feist helps with counting in this video clip of her hit song 1-2-3-4. Aww..

Beck - "Odelay", "Guero": Well, the music world is just a-buzzing over his new release, "Modern Guilt", and so I downloaded the free track "Chemtrails" to see what the buzz was about. Hmpf. I don't know... sort of the same kind of obliqueness, rough edges, and afterthought-ish vocals that you might expect from the Flaming Lips or Radiohead. But then, I guess if you really like them, you'd probably really like this track, too. ;)

This was my first exposure to Beck, and what can you tell from one track? So upon further exploration of a couple of other albums, and a single or two, did my first impression change? Hmpf. I don't know... not much, I guess. Even going way back to his first big hit in 1991, "Loser", it's kind of the same thing. Obliquely quirky. Vocals not a real priority. Edgy, grating. And now, in between, what about the two CDs presently up for review?

Boy, the critics sure went nuts for Odelay, and loved Guero, too. Hmpf. I don't know... don't all critics (whether in art, film, music, literature) normally look for the new, the different, the groundbreaking, regardless of the quality of the skill exhibited or the value of the content? I think so. Mostly. *This* particular reviewer simply looks for what he wants to listen to more than once. :)

And in the case of Beck, that would be these tracks (and only these): Missing (my favorite), Go It Alone, Girl, Where It's At, Ramshackle, Send a Message to Her. You diehard Beck fans out there can enjoy the rest over and over. :)

Talib Kweli - "Eardrum": Yikes! Mommy used to always say "if you can't say something nice..." so I think we'll just leave it at that. Thanks for offering, but... I'll pass. Yikes!

Lupe Fiasco - "The Cool", "Food & Liquor": Now, that's more like it. :) If I'm going to listen to rap or hip-hop (which I, um.. won't very much), I might as well listen to some that's more melodic. On "The Cool", this guy lays smooth vocals over top of his flow, which makes the flow a *lot* easier to take, yo. What! ;)

And he's not so angry, either. Yes, there's still the references to N's and B's, P's & H's, but for the most part he's pretty positive, even about the low points of life. Better than the usual fare from this genre.

From "The Cool", I particularly liked: Fighters, Superstar, Go Baby, Streets on Fire, Paris Tokyo, Go Go Gadget Flow. From "Food & Liquor", check out American Terrorist, The Emperor's Soundtrack, The Cool, Daydreamin', Sunshine, He Say She Say, Kick Push. I'd skip the intro and 12+ minute (!) outro.

Duffy - "Rockferry": Borrowed this CD from J2 (who I think borrowed it from his gf?) and had never heard anything by this girl before, just seen the hype on iTunes about her. The very first song is the title track, and I thought for a second I was listening to Dusty Springfield. :)

Her voice is a real throwback to the days of white patent leather thigh high go-go boots and miniskirts. Those were, um... good days, man. ;) There was American Bandstand, Hullabaloo, Dance Party and Soul Train on TV (in glorious black & white) Saturdays from about 11AM until sports came on at 2. It was groooovy, baby.

Just like that pop organ sound she uses on "Mercy". I used to play one of those things in the bands I was in at age 14. We would play for junior high dances, stuff like "Gloria" by The Doors (or Hendrix, or The Grateful Dead, or Ted Nugent, or Van Morrison; whichever version you like - it's still the same three chords :P), and House Of The Rising Sun by the Animals. A little burnt orange Farfisa organ. It was so far out..

Sorry for that little flashback there. I still get those from time to time. :P So, it's not a rough-edged blue-eyed soul album like Joss Stone or Amy Winehouse, this one is pretty laid back 60's-70's sounding, with a lot of ballads. I liked: Serious, Syrup & Honey, Hanging On Too Long, Mercy, Distant Dreamer. Kinda sweet.

Jimmy Eat World - "Futures", "Bleed American": In honor of my coughing up my ticket last week to their sold-out show, so that his friend S could go with him, J2 in return coughed up his other two CDs of these guys. Rummaging in the piles, it was not unlike the process of a cat bringing up a hair-ball, but.. he found them. ;)

And, they're good. I really like their harmonies. The lyrics are emo, but the playing is more power pop. And they sure can play! But I think I like their ballads best. Favorites: from "Bleed American", The Middle, Your House, Hear You Me, If You Don't Don't, Cautioners, My Sundown. From "Futures", the title track, plus Kill, The World You Love, Pain, Drugs or Me, Polaris, 23.

Oh, and one last thing. Amazon is hooking me with their daily deals on .mp3 album downloads. Just Sunday for $3.99 I picked up Eric Clapton "Unplugged" from 1992 (same year as Beck's first CD. hm..) - and it's great! :) Sometimes they have new stuff, sometimes old gems, but it's always worth looking at.

No comments:

Who links to my website?