Monday, July 09, 2007

My first class

as an adjunct professor was tonight.

It was...

fun! :)

I wasn't prepared for all the questions that came up, but I knew the material well enough to improvise, and... connect. :) I saw the light bulb come on over peoples' heads and it felt great. First night jitters weren't too bad, and the 4 hour class went smoothly. I liked it a lot. I felt both in control of the classroom and at ease with the students. And I especially liked the time where students did work in class, and I ... collected my wits, thought about the next topics, and.. even checked my email. :)

The students ranged in age from about early 20s to 50ish, in occupations from being in the family bakery business to insurance marketing to data processing to the National Guard, all looking to improve themselves by getting their bachelor's degree. When I asked what the last time was that they were in a math class, the lone female revealed her age by joking with one guy who said "1982" by saying.. "woah, I wasn't even born yet!"

And of course, the only woman in the class was also the only one who called for the teacher to "come help me?" and cooed "gee, have you always been so good at math?" Yeah, well... don't try that "I'm just a girl" stuff on me! ;) I know too many actuaries who are female..

So, a good first night behind the podium, and now I'm really looking forward to next week! Even with papers to grade and a quiz to prepare. :) It even felt good to have dress clothes on again... never thought I'd say that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heh. teacher gossip. I always thought it was interesting.... probably because I always hear the student gossip and whatnot. sounds like you had fun.... What did they call you? Bob? Mr. Smith? Professor ?

Who links to my website?