Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Drive, drive, drive

Tomorrow I'll be driving 7 hours south for a dayful of interviews the next day, then driving back another 7 hours on Saturday.

A week from tomorrow I'll be driving about 4 hours east for a dayful of interviews the next day, then driving ... somewhere ... that night. It might be back here, or.. South another 2 hours.

In between these trips, on Sunday night, I'll have a 2nd phone interview with the little company 5 hours SE of here, this time with the CEO. And if that goes well and they invite me in for a face-face.. it might be on Monday the 6th, and I'll spend the weekend somewhere.. in the vicinity. We'll see.

And while all this is going on... I still have no mental grid through which to evaluate what, if any, offers may come. How do I even evaluate the choices? Will I have any? If no offers are forthcoming, that certainly pushes us toward Path B - grad school and starting over. The campus-apartment part and the job-with-benefits part of that path are secured.

I'm afraid I'll be pushed along by circumstances. For some people, that's just fine, drifting with the current of life. Not me... I want to choose! But on what basis?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob, have you pre-screened any of these jobs as to how they might fit YOU? It doesn't sound like it; it sounds like you will take any job with reasonable terms and an offer. Why?

Does it really sound that much better than the other path you have been shown? Have you so quickly forgotten the gross dissatisfaction you have felt with this industry? Or what having a job that is fundamentally unsatisfying has done to you mentally and physically? What is it that you think you can get with this 'job' that you can't get somewhere else? (Yes, it's possible to get money and benefits somewhere else.)

There is no shame in turning your back on something that doesn't fit you, even if it means walking away from money, prestige, and security. I walked away from such a position/career because I knew within a month of getting there that 'this is where people go to die'. (I finished out my contractual obligations, but I didn't pursue renewal or promotion.) That was the most money I have ever made, but I was miserable and I gained a lot of weight in the process. But I didn't stay, even though it was what was 'expected' of me. And I've never regretted it.

I hope you can make peace with whatever thoughts are battling it out in your head.

Who links to my website?