Saturday, January 26, 2008

Traffic court in the frozen north

.. is kind of cold and sterile. But at least they're on time. It's not like the doctor's office. You make an appointment by phone with a hearing officer, and when you get there and your time comes, they call your name (loudly!) into a crowded hallway filled with rebels, losers and misfits. In other words, guys just like me! :P Hey yo, dog, they my peeps, dig? Word.

One nice thing is that they run all the citations through an imaging center to get them on line. And you don't have to do anything about responding until they get it in the system.. which only took them 3 months! I was actually stopped in October.. after only the first time going down this particular stretch of urban Interstate (and the first citation in my new state.. aww, I feel at home now!)

No complaints here.. I get to delay without penalty while I wait for them to hear me out. No arguments about the ticket, either. They were right. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Just a plea for mercy across the table from a real person. They're not particularly lenient, however. :(

In every other state, it's been in my best interest to go to a preliminary hearing, because they often have been merciful and have reduced tickets to "no-points" violations (though they *never* reduce the fine!)

Not this time. :( Ah, well. Less than 10 miles over, and that was while coming off of a downhill on-ramp into the flow of traffic, so.. not an egregious violation. Still.. slowing down is in order.

Especially since I now know that in the frozen north.. they're pretty stiff from the cold and not inclined to bend.

I think I need to go for a run. At least there I know how to slow down. ;)

No comments:

Who links to my website?