Friday, January 25, 2008

All.. most.. done..

with my Math class at Stritch. This one didn't turn out quite like I'd expected. Of course, none of them have yet.

It was supposed to be a no-prep course for me, as I had just taught it 5 months earlier. Nobody told me they rewrote the syllabus and changed all the assignments! All new prep. :(

It was supposed to be a few weeks over Christmas break when I wasn't taking night classes myself. Nobody told me we'd have 3 weeks off in the middle of class, and that most of the time would be spent after my Winter quarter at Bethel had already started. :(

It was supposed to be a group of students who had been screened for the class, taken any necessary prerequisites. Nobody told me that 2/3 of the class was completely unprepared for algebra. They saw what was required of them and panicked. :(

Add to that the RCIA classes I'm in every Wednesday, the 45 min. drive each way to the classroom location, the phone calls and emails trying to calm down the administration over the unprepared students, the review by an experienced teacher in the classroom as an "observer" (which went very well and really wasted his time), I actually wound up earning my keep on this one! And here I thought it was going to be just an easy fill-in over the holidays..

So, after the final next week, I have my Monday nights back! Yay! But, still, it was good to teach again. And the stipend I get roughly pays for one class at Bethel. :) Hopefully I'll pick up a couple more over Summer, too. I do like it. Even if it isn't ever what I expect.

Oh, and.. almost done with that paper for TS502. Just editing today, so by tomorrow .. I can put it down and stop thinking about the marginalized for a while. And you all can stop reading about it. :)

Plus, tomorrow is my day to get back in the kitchen. Yay!

No comments:

Who links to my website?