Thursday, January 31, 2008

Final Integrative Project

There aren't really any exams in TS502, just papers, one of which is a pretty big deal. So, um.. this thing is supposed to be 30% of my final grade. The syllabus describes it like this:

"Each student is required to submit a 10-12 page paper on a topic that will specifically involve an inter-disciplinary dialogue between doctrines studied in this class and another scholarly discipline (e.g. biblical studies, physics, biology, sociology, psychology, religion, history, philosophy, etc.) The purpose of the essay is to provide opportunity to examine in-depth a theological topic, which is of particular concern to the student, from an inter-disciplinary perspective. It also gives an opportunity to develop research skills and logical thinking as well as to learn how to search relevant literature. Suggestions for possible topics will be handed out in class. The choice of topic should be within the confines of doctrines discussed in this class (i.e. theological anthropology, harmartiology, Christology)."



Oof. Right.

The prof gave us a list of topics, none of which were appealing. :( So.. I made one up that I think I can relate to a lot better, given my previous post on my relationship with my brother, and my own fears (irrational ones, yes, but fears just the same) of having all his same tendencies. I just had to get it approved first. So I emailed him:



Dr. N, I have an idea for a final integrative project paper, and would
like to know if you think it workable.

My idea is to take the topic of addiction and look at it from the viewpoints of the doctrine of humanity and the doctrine of sin. I'd like to contrast the way we may view it Biblically, with how it is viewed in the disciplines of sociology, medicine and psychology.

Would this be an adequate topic for the paper?

B


********

B,

This sounds like an excellent topic for an integrative project. Plantinga's book has a section on addiction that you may be able to incorporate into your paper. At any rate, I think you have chosen a good topic and I will look forward to reading your paper if you choose to pursue this topic.

Blessings,

DN



The prof liked my idea so much he brought it up in class as an example of how students could successfully suggest their own topic. Good! So people are asking me afterwards "Would you be upset if I borrowed your topic for my paper?" "Just so long as you don't write a better paper than me", I said. :)

I don't think I'll have much trouble writing this one. The difficulty will be with thinking through the implications, as they are a bit close to home for me. But since when has a difficult and intimately personal topic ever slowed me down before? ;)

No comments:

Who links to my website?