Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Gossip and grouper

It was a very different day today from yesterday. I'm wrung out.

With every new job there's a state of information overload, and I've reached the point of mental exhaustion with it, but I still have 2 days to go in this orientation week. The expression "like drinking from a fire hose" sure applies.

But today the focus was not just on data and systems and jargon, but more on who's who and what pitfalls to avoid with which people. I still haven't seen an org chart yet, so it's a mystery how this place is organized, but I think I'm homing in on it.

Met another teleworker (as they call us) today who was in the office for some meetings. I'll be working with him routinely, it turns out. He's a great guy, and lives in a little burg NW of Milwaukee. We agreed to have coffee sometime when I am visiting the area - whenever that might be. He's a long-time Wisconsinite, knows my hometown well, and he gave me a few "off-the-record" tips that may come in handy, as to how to make this telecommuting thing work better when I get home. Shhhh! You didn't hear it from me.. ;)

Dinner with the boss (still no nickname yet.. have to work on that) was lovely. More office gossip (or rather, inside info on people) over a bottle of Fume' Blanc, some lobster bisque, goat cheese & kalamata olive tapenade on foccacia bread, and finally an entree' of potato-wrapped Blue Nose Grouper with creamed leeks and a wine reduction sauce. Whew. It's a wonder I could still type, back at the hotel.

The boss has a predeliction, however, for 8AM meetings. And given that my hotel is a half-hour from the office.. I am not a happy boy in the mornings. :( 8AM meetings won't be so bad if I'm still in my underwear down in the den. ;) Try not to picture that. And no, they don't provide web cams, thank God.

No comments:

Who links to my website?