Friday, August 05, 2005

Phone Interviews

Had one yesterday and two today... they are both exhausting and invigorating at the same time, if such a thing is possible. I think one of the reasons they are invigorating is that they force you to think a bit - on the fly - about what you want, and they also reveal to you whether you are really enthusiastic about the job prospect or if you are just trying to sound that way. Your heart knows the difference, even if you can keep it from the person on the other end of the line.

The Chicago loop job looks very difficult - high expectations with little support to achieve them. At first my big concern was the commute... now it's the job itself. My recruiter suggests we pull out next week if I still feel the same after Monday.

Monday I am interviewing in person for the Atlanta job. The other two phone interviews were with people who won't be there Monday. Both happened to be old friends and colleagues. Nice discussions about work and lots of talk about how the families are, etc. Mixed information on the nature of the job and the people with whom I'd work. There are still lots of things to clarify on Monday. Hopefully, soon after that, I'll have a much better feel for whether they are serious about my candidacy or not. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Atlanta, even though it's warm... :)

Jenny is still getting leads and job postings coming her way - no lack of activity, just like me. Plus, no clear direction, either, just like me. The parallels are frightening. Just signed her up for catastrophic health insurance today, with a $2500 deductible and 50/50 co-pays for the next $10K, at about $50/mo. She needs a job with benefits... so will I. Except I have until October.

I think I'm getting better about changing jobs - and about moving. Still nothing I look forward to yet, but maybe not as much dread. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?