Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I Hate This...

...I just hate it. Today was one of those days I'd like to have back to do again. The only good thing about the trip was having lunch with Jenny and seeing her in her new place. That made me happy! And, after tomorrow's interviews I go to see Jonny at his college to drop off some music books. It'll be a long day, but... better because of that.

I wish I hadn't let the recruiter talk me into this interview. It was a waste of everyone's time.

First, the hiring manager had me wait 10-15 minutes in his office while he took a phone call, while I'm sitting there sitting on my thumbs. He's soooo busy with important stuff, and assured me my life would be like that, too, once I'm on board. Once he's ready to interview me, he talks incessantly, and runs nearly a half hour past the time we were supposed to end, and then adds someone on the interview schedule who wasn't planned. That guy is then miffed because he's been kept waiting a half hour, and in the meantime Chicago traffic is building outside...

The expectations of the job are high and the resources available to accomplish it are nil. Plus, they want a technical data junkie, and I'm not it. The stress level is high, and the hiring manager said "this is not a place for the weak". Gee, I guess that means I'm weak. He commented that their results were so good last year that he paid one guy a bonus that "made his head explode". And he said that for the next two weeks they guy thought that it was all worth it...

Two weeks! I am just not that financially motivated, I guess. To think a huge bonus could buy you off...

When I finally get out of there, the traffic has me at a crawl for half an hour before it opens up. Then when I thought I would get some needed comfort after returning to town, I come back into a situation where there is tension, and all I do is just add to it. It would have been better to spend the night there and try again in the morning, and I wouldn't have gotten those I love upset. :(

I knew before I went that it was not a good fit. I should have said so to the recruiter right away, but I let her talk me into it. Stupid.

I hope tomorrow will be better. I'll wear a different suit. Maybe that will help.

No comments:

Who links to my website?