Monday, August 15, 2005

Counting The Days

Four days left until Jonny heads for college and the house is quiet. Verrry quiet. I'll be relieved at the lack of all the little irritations and behaviors that we would butt heads over, but I also think I will miss them in a perverse way. :) For instance, we disagree on music at times (like screamo bands... ugh), but we've also been having a lot of fun lately comparing notes on music. He just introduced me to the music of a guy named Jason Mraz, who I really like. I think he sounds like white boy hip-hop on a couple of songs - you know, hip-hop pop. :) But, I've been recently taken to task over that interpretation...

Then, 6 days left until I fly to New England for an interview day, and 4 days after that fly to Des Moines for the same. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of information coming my way (and hopefully some offers) in the mid-September timeframe. All these opporunities and discussions seem to be on a pace to resolve around then. What I fear is one or more of them culminating quite a bit ahead of the others, and me having to stall for time to find out more about a competing offer. But there's no way to tell people that I need their offer by such and such a date to help me be able to look at all my cards at once...

I don't want to miss a chance on a decent job by holding out to see if a better one may come along in a few weeks. It would be like saying no to the opportunity to marry a really fine girl just because you haven't dated all that much and are not sure who else might be out there. On big decisions like this, for me anyway, the bird in the hand always wins.

No comments:

Who links to my website?