Sunday, August 21, 2005

Empty Nester Syndrome

A dear friend asked me recently if I felt any older now that I'm an empty nester... :) I gave a cryptic answer, I think because I didn't know what to say, and have thought about it some since.

Took a day off from work Friday to get Jonny moved into his dorm room at college. It was horribly hot, and his room is on the third floor of what looks like a men's correctional facility :) and has no air conditioning. I soaked through one shirt & shorts and had packed another set to be presentable for dinner. Presentable! Ha. It's college... what was I thinking? ;)

The cafeteria food was passable and plentiful. What I noticed was the convenience of the small campus, as well as the lack of common space for studying and lounging. He's going to spend a lot of time in that hot room...

Fired off a postcard to him yesterday, just to be sure he gets mail. :) I'll do that for a few weeks, and then back off as he gets settled. I'll be interested to see what his communication style will be. Jenny's was great! Emails at work, and an extended phone call Sunday afternoons. I'm guessing that communication from the boy will be sporadic at best.

So, to the question of the day. Do I feel older? Not yet. I thought I was going to get hit with this wave of emotion after dropping him off, but I didn't. I think it's because I see this as an essential step in his growing up process, since he's had a lot handed to him while at home, and it will be important for him to do for himself for a while. I feel like I'm still actively parenting, but from a distance, which is fine.

So far, I like the quiet, and the lack of squabbling over the PC and the car and curfews, blah, blah. Let him figure that out himself now. It's time for it. Just like it's time for the empty nest. Besides, if the nest is empty, it's a whole lot easier to move it, right?

Well, in a few minutes I head to the airport to get on a plane for New England. All day interviews on Monday, and a few hours of empty time to prowl the city before my return flight. Housing costs... wonder how bad they'll be? I dug an old suit out of the closet from ... 6 years ago? Wow! It finally fits again. :) It was one of my favorites - dark olive double breasted with a faint blue stripe. Yellow shirt, with olive, yellow and burgundy tie... I'm sure it will produce an offer! :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?