Saturday, January 31, 2009

Music Reviews: Erin McCarley, Adele, The Go-Go's, The Bird and the Bee

Before I launch into this latest set (a looooong set, too - guess I'll do it in two parts), I have to plug a new website I found that does nothing but music reviews (including samples.)  

Music I like, too - several artists are on there who I knew of already (like Madita, Melody Gardot, Aline De Lima, Asa, etc.), but also many who are new to me.  Lots of Euro singers & bands. Check it out, become a follower!

Okay, on to the reviews, part one - girls first.

Erin McCarley - "Love, Save The Empty": This was another of Amazon's $1.99 specials. And another goodie, too. This girl is the latest in a long chain of sweet-voiced female soloists with light rock backing, a'la Ingrid Michaelson, Colbie Caillat, etc.

And she has caught herself a nice break by having the title track picked for the new movie coming out this month, "he's just not that into you". That song is nice, as are Pony, Sticky-Sweet, Lovesick Mistake, It's Not That Easy, Pitter-Pat, Gotta Figure This Out. The others are a bit quirky, but kind of fun, too. A nice debut, and certainly worth every penny of the $1.99 I paid. ;)

Adele - "19": This one came in from the library, finally, after I sat many weeks on the request list. This girl is cut from the same cloth (musically, at least) as Amy Winehouse, but without the razor's-edge severity and personal problems.

A really cool, edgy, retro-soul voice with songs to match. I like it! Favorites: Right as Rain, Daydreamer, First Love, Chasing Pavements, Make You Feel My Love, Hometown Glory.

The Go-Go's - "Beauty and the Beat": Amazon lured me in again. :) Only $.99 for this CD, for yet another 80's group I had ignored back when they were popular. They were a pleasant surprise. Kind of thin and reedy vocals, but upbeat and energetic, pleasant songs, and a really funny bit of cover art. Favorites: How Much More, Tonite, Lust To Love, This Town, Skidmarks On My Heart.

The Bird and the Bee - "Ray Guns Are Not Just The Future": I wondered when this electronic duo (he on keys & beats, she on vocals & guitar) were going to put out another CD. Hadn't heard anything new from them since D and I saw them on their concert tour a year ago.

But a great CD is worth the wait, right? And this one qualifies. Bless Amazon.mp3 for selling it for $3.99 during its first week out! Love her voice, and the songs are smooth & modern without excessive electronica. Sort of like Stereolab, but home-grown and more sedate. Favorites: My Love, Diamond Dave, Ray Gun, You're A Cad, Birthday, Lifespan of a Fly.

Next up - the boys.

3 comments:

Paul Irish said...

Thanks for the link! Appreciated. :)

Future Urban Planner said...

Hey, so I don't know if you're still into techno- but I found this new artist Sam Sparro (not a typo) but he's like a slightly more existential Gnarls Barkley- like what Cee-Lo touched on, but expounded- check out Black & Gold & 21st Century Life off his Sam Sparro album. Very danceable. I also purchased the "soundtrack" to the TV show Bones as their music supervisor has surprisingly "good" taste. It's mainly indie stuff, but not mainstream indie (haha)artists like My Morning Jacket, Deathcab for Cutie & whoever the heck they slip into WB/CW shows. I wanted this song "Bring on the Wonder" by a lady named Susan Enan & there were like 12 trks for $10 or something so I said fine as I'd like some of their other music that they put on there. Apparently the selections they included were not the songs that I had liked, but it's definitely your style. I'll burn you a copy when you come.

Speaking of burning, I didn't/don't mean to berate you w/ my last comment, but I just figure in today's uncertain economy yes corporate hypocrisy sucks, but it affords you (& me and the other fortunates) small luxuries while others are worrying whether they'll be able to feed their kids next week and pay the mortgage. Remember, your (& my) situation can always be used as a witnessing opportunity even if it's not something you enraptured with. . . lve ya, >^..^<

Bill said...

Sam Sparro - yeah, I've had him for a while and like him. My favorite, other than Black & Gold, is "I'm Still Hungry". Love the lyrics. I'm like that a lot, satisfied, yes, grateful, yes, but... inexplicably, still hungry.

And your last comment???

Oh, you mean the one I didn't publish. :P

I do reserve the right to edit. :) But I got your point.

Who links to my website?