Monday, January 12, 2009

Oh, the indignity!

Yesterday's post was bad enough. Now today I must report that I got picked on by an old woman at the gym. Literally pushed around, for goodness' sake!

Now I'm sporting a bandaid where my hand got cut against a rusty, metal handrail. Tetanus! Ahhhh! Mean old woman...

Well, maybe it wasn't so dramatic as all that. But I did bleed.

The track was crowded again today. Lots of people still trying to keep their New Year's resolutions, I think. And one old woman, kinda short, with a Pillsbury Dough-Boy build, was moving kinda slow on her way around the track. More than once as I ran by, I wanted to hear her go "oooh-hooo", but... I resisted the obvious impulse. ;)

She got revenge, though, for my disrespectful thought. Even though she was going pretty slowly, she was faster than the guy with a cane ahead of her. She moves out to pass him about 50 feet before she needed to, oblivious to anyone behind her.

So, I move to the inside to go quickly past her and then later go around the cane-guy, but at the last second she decides she was out there too soon, I guess, and...

moved back to the inside. Where I was heading by! Jeepers, lady - check over at least one of your two shoulders, huh?

So to avoid plowing into her, I hit the railing instead and gouged my hand on a protrusion. And this was after 2.5 miles, so I was kind of on autopilot thinking about keeping my pace up. I did brush her a bit, and she apologized as I stumbled by, but mostly I impacted the railing - which was not real forgiving.

I finished the 3 1/4 miles, and didn't drip blood once on the track. Kinda hard to run while licking a cut, though, so I walked the rest.

Grrr. And I had it going on, too. Mean old woman...

No comments:

Who links to my website?