Monday, February 02, 2009

250 Miles

... on this pair of running shoes, since I began running (reluctantly!) in August of '07. :) In my first 3 1/2 months of it, I put on 37 miles, and happily knocked off for the winter.



That is, until my doctor scolded me in mid-winter about my bloodwork readings going the wrong way. So, a year ago I laced 'em up again (yuk!) and plodded on (indoors.) Well, as the year went by, it got easier and less painful, and the miles started to add up, so that, even with nearly 2 months of layoff pre-and post knee surgery, I still put on 200 miles in 12 months.

So just before leaving for KC, I crossed the 250 mile marker, and now am on pace for, oh.. 25 miles a month or so? About 300 miles this year, or at least I hope so. Twice a week, give or take, and stretching it a lap every time, so that maybe I can run a 10K in May, goaded politely by my buddy SQ. If I can manage that, then maybe I can work on speed instead of distance.

And, as long as the knee holds up, who knows? Another lap here, another lap there, pretty soon you're talking a 1/2 marathon.

(notice YOU'RE talking 1/2 marathon. Not me; not yet. As of today it's still just a concept. Today's run of 3 1/2 miles is still a far cry from 10K. One milestone at a time.)

But 500 miles on these shoes by my next birthday... is at least possible. Maybe even likely. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?