Saturday, October 03, 2009

They must be here someplace...

...or else they don't exist.



I'm neck-deep in studying now, and was trying to knock off the last of my first week's reading assignments while pounding down my two buy-one-get-one-free medium sugar-free french vanilla lattes this afternoon at McDonalds (the one near campus, so surrounded by other students at least pretending to study), and then with a mouthful of hot coffee I start laughing out loud at what I'm reading, choking on my coffee trying to stifle laughing, snorting some out my nose (ow!), making a mess of things, and then giggling to myself afterwards.

When something strikes you funny, and you don't WANT to laugh, sometimes it takes on an inordinate amount of humor simply because you are trying NOT to laugh. Why this stuck me as funny, I'm not exactly sure. But the silliness increased as I tried to shut it off.

The author was responding to a common objection to Christianity (one articulated recently by Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens) that the existence of God cannot be scientifically proven, and neither can the supernatural (as in "miracles"). He remembered the remark of the first Russian cosmonaut returning from space that he did not find God there. If you can't see it or prove it, it doesn't exist.

In reply, the author quoted Alvin Plantinga, who said that looking for the supernatural among the natural (or for the metaphysical within the physical), was "like the drunk who insisted on looking for his lost car keys only under the streetlight on the grounds that the light was better there. In fact, it would go the drunk one better: it would insist that because the keys would be hard to find in the dark, they must be under the light."

:D

(It was really hilarious at McDonalds. Guess you had to be there.)

No comments:

Who links to my website?