Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Retreat Weekend 2009



Hiawatha, Iowa. Lovely place for a retreat. I mean, what else is there to do? Oh, sure, it's right next to Cedar Rapids, and not all that far from Des Moines, but even so... it's well-suited as a site to facilitate getting away from the world's busy-ness.



Simple living at its best. Off the grid, where possible.



Here are my earth-friendly accomodations:






Just kidding. That's the root cellar where they keep potatoes. ;)

THIS is what I stayed in. A secluded solar-powered straw-bale hut.



And lest I felt too isolated, it was a short walk to a lodge building,



which was, itself, right by the main conference center building,



which was gorgeous inside, really. Even dramatic in spots.



and designed in such a way so as to bring as much nature into the facility as possible. This is a prayer room - beautiful.



And really, the hermitage I stayed in was meant to do the same - bring nature in. It was simple, but comfortable.





The only thing missing was a decent coffee maker. I mean.. a percolator? Hey, it's a retreat center, not an antique shop. So, I made do with a tea kettle and some powdered instant from Hy-Vee. Nasty.



One of the highlights, though, was their outdoor labyrinth. "Walking the pattern", as Roger Zelazny describes it in "Chronicles of Amber", wasn't the electrifying struggle that it is on that fantasy world, nor was I transported anywhere when I got to the center, either, but...



I did have a few insights as I walked, about the haphazard and winding paths our lives take en route to our ultimate destination. My own life is no less unfathomable than the design of this labyrinth. The constant throughout, though, has been God at the center - always there, no matter how circuitous my path, toward or away.



As a whole, the entire weekend was great. I relaxed enough to get bored, read enough to get sleepy and take naps, got outside enough to feel friendly with nature, and had comforting & cozy warm accommodations in a very nurturing environment. :) Aww..

What's more, I came away refreshed & happy, and with a really good perspective on things. It's been a while since I've been this optimistic.

2 comments:

Future Urban Planner said...

That's why you need a Bodum French press & seep! seep! seep! your grounds, or so I've been told :P

GQ has a new foodie article about these new coffee bars that take their coffee (a little too) seriously

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/restaurants-and-bars/200911/best-coffee-in-america#slide=1

But glad you liked the "earthwork" for more stuff in that style check out Andy Goldsworthy and Robert Smithson- Smithson's Spiral Jetty was in the Salt Lake (of Salt Lake City), but now it's under water. But it's his most famous work. Goldsworthy doesn't have any standout pieces- it's more his style.

Bill said...

Ha, yes, a little too seriously. :) I mean, I like "a large breve' with a half-shot of sugar-free caramel" as much as the next guy, but I can also make do with a hot cup of Joe at the counter at George Webb. In fact, sometimes, that's way better.

I miss George Webb. And Milwaukee. A lot.

But there is a local diner down the street here (I'll show you when you visit) that helps me cope with not being... where I'd rather be. :)

Who links to my website?