Friday, October 02, 2009

Love, and risk your heart

"Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to be sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation."

----- C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

2 comments:

Future Urban Planner said...

Thanks for the quote- I shared it with a guy who has become my best friend here at school- Derek- he's sortof my Ben 2.0- incurable romantic, who thinks no one will ever love him, yet wicked smart, funny, compassionate.

Luckily, no sexual tension between us as he likes a mutual friend, even tho he had vowed earlier that he didn't think it smart for anyone to have an interest in any of our peers as, if something materialized, then disintegrated, it would be a lonnng next two years. To which I promptly ignored him.

I'm not sure what his spiritual beliefs are- on his Facebook it says something about if this is all a mistake then coincidence and design are miraculous things. . .

Please pray for me that I might be Jesus with skin on to him & to my other peers. >^..^<

Future Urban Planner said...

Oh yeah & his other thing is trying not to care that the other girl (that he likes) who doesn't like him- he alternates between oh well, it was a dumb idea anyway while still caring, or caring too much & walking around (metaphysically) like a wounded puppy.

Sigh, there is one in every crowd and they always find me. I am my mother's daughter. That is not a bad thing ;-)

Who links to my website?