Saturday, October 10, 2009

A subtle reminder (updated 10/12)

... of where we live.

Iowa State has a viticulture department and I'm on the mailing list for their newsletter. Well, yesterday's edition focused on what to do in your vineyard now that harvest season is over. And I thought... is it really over already? Yes I tasted of my vines' produce (all two grapes!) a couple of weeks ago, but - everything's still green outside. No leaves are dropping.

Then this morning, I woke up to this:



Aaaaaah! Isn't this a tad premature? I mean, just two weeks ago it was 70+, and had been for most all of September. What gives? But as the newsletter said, the average date of the first hard frost is ... now!



And as if to punctuate the point, God left 1/2" of snow on the deck (according to my handy-dandy chair gauge), even though everything else is still green.

Naturally, the dog (who hasn't seen snow for over three years) went out and rolled in it. Mmm... refreshing! So this year, we have something new on the deck... paw prints in the snow. :)



(and a wiping towel by the door.)



******* update 10/12 *******

This is getting kind of creepy.





whatever your point is, God, you can stop making it now. Anytime.




1 comment:

Future Urban Planner said...

Awww! I'm glad he was able to re-acclimate himself to it- Mom says that he tiptoed through it :)) I'll take over snowball-in-the=paws duty when I'm home! Can't wait! Wish it were sooner :*(

Who links to my website?