Thursday, August 06, 2009

Knowing the unknowable

... or presuming to.

I get so frustrated with theology. Or rather, with theologians.

Over and over, it's the same thing: "We can't really comprehend the Ineffable Mystery that is God, but... after extensive study, here's my definitive answer. And I'll defend my conclusions as if they were dogma of the faith. If you believe otherwise, may you be declared anathema, you heretic! But, remember, we can't really know..."

The latest is this book I'm reading by Leonardo Boff, "Trinity and Society". He devotes most of the pages to a discussion of the Triune God, and how the church got to its current highly refined (and now considered "orthodox") view of that doctrine.

Let's just say that it contained an awful lot of reacting (to opposition movements in the church), and rationalizing (in the form of purely human reasoning about what God must be, in lieu of revelation.)

The phrase "load of hooey" comes to mind.

Grrr..

No comments:

Who links to my website?