Sunday, May 24, 2009

Run, Baby, Run

and yeah, maybe walk a little. It is 12K, after all, and I'm a newbie.



Now after two successful 5K events last year, why do this? To what end?

I ask myself that all the time. And the answer I usually give to anyone else who asks (like the nurse in the orthopedic surgeon's office Friday when I was in for my last followup to knee surgery) is this: I don't do it because I like it. I do it because it keeps deterioration at bay. I am more healthy and vital when I run, even if I hate the process. And at this stage of life, being vital is extra-special good! :)

So, it is with this determination in mind that I ran on Sunday. Uphill. The whole way. Sadists. Stillwater is built like that - on bluffs above the St. Croix. And we ran them. Gorgeous, but tough to manage. Hm. Some people are that way, too. ;)





While I didn't run the whole marathon course, only 12K of it (~7.5 miles), the race website declares that I climbed 272 feet, but only went down 121 feet, so the course was a net climb of 150 feet in elevation. Ick. And I know right where all that happened. Ow ow ow.

But my buddy SQ, who ran the 12K with me (or I should say, ran the 12K as well, because the only time he was really WITH me on the course was at the starting line, the snot)



gave me a suggestion on going uphill. Lean forward into the hill, lift the knees a bit more, and pump the elbows. It worked! It was easier. Although there were two stretches where I just couldn't run the whole hill. Too long and too steep, plus too late, after I had already run the first 5K and was fatiguing. The legs faded before the lungs did, though, so I still had breath throughout and especially at the end. :) Wound up coming in about a minute-forty above my goal time, and that was all due to the hills. Grrr...



Friday night we went to pick up our starting packets (including the personalized race bibs and computer chip for your shoes) and figured out the when and where of the start.





There were four races going simultaneously, a marathon, 20 mile, half-marathon and the 12K.


























All runners started together so it was packed and it took a couple of miles for people to sort themselves out according to pace.



But what a beautiful day. 7AM Sunday dawned sunny, cool and calm, about 50 degrees. Perfect for running; by the time we were done 90 min later it was about 64. Ideal for cooling down.

The whole thing was so festive. :) The whole town was involved.





Crazy crowded and loads of runners everywhere. 500+ runners for the 12K alone, about 2,000 overall.



And all shapes and sizes, all ages and fitness levels. I initially felt out of place. I mean, what am I doing with all these good runners? But as the morning wore on, I saw people my age, people my shape, people my speed... and worse. ;) All out there pounding away at this goal, and finally I felt at home.

The crowds lining the streets were encouraging, not only with water (which I skipped) and high-fives (which I took), but with eye contact and nods that said "good job, pal... keep going."

The people were a nice distraction, too, from how awful my legs felt late in the race. It also was a nice distraction to find someone pleasant to run behind, if you get my drift, and then pace just back of that gentle sway for a half-mile or so, until another spandex-covered distraction came along. mmm.

But eventually, fatigue overtook fascination, and the only sensory input my system allowed was the rhythm of my breathing and the pounding of the pavement. Normally I stop at 10K, so around mile six I kind of shut down and ran like a drone. That is, until the finish line rounded into sight. Then, I got a burst of energy from somewhere, and (along with everyone else) sped up, chest out and grinning. Done!

Finished ahead of 112 people younger than me. That felt pretty good. Got a nice little commemorative medal for finishers, a friendly welcome from my (small) cheering section afterwards, waaaaaater, and then a pleasant downhill stroll to the car and a fresh shirt.



A debrief lunch at Smashburger three hours later, baseball game tonight. Nice. A good day. And sore, yes, but a good kind of sore.

Next up: The 10 mile run at the Twin Cities Marathon in October.

No comments:

Who links to my website?