Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Music Reviews: Coldplay, The Ugly Suit, Flight of the Conchords, Prince

Coldplay - "Viva La Vida": Finally! A long time coming on this one. I liked X&Y so well, I hoped this new one would live up to that standard. It's... um, different. I'd have to agree with the reviewer, except that I happen to like it when Chris Martin does the dreamy romantic stuff. :) So sue me.

It's much more of an experimental album, and musically sort of themeless. They are all over the map with style and influence. But it's worth a buy. I think it may grow on me with each listening, like Radiohead's "In Rainbows" did.

Favorites so far: Life In Technicolor, Cemeteries of London (6/8 time. Yeah.), Lost!, Yes, Strawberry Swing, Lovers in Japan, Death And All His Friends (the last two being two-part songs, with a slight break between "movements". The last part of "DAAHF" is a reprise of the opening instrumental track, Life In Technicolor - if you put it on continuous play, it'll just roll right around to the start again. Nice.)


The Ugly Suit (self titled CD): This was the opening act for Iron & Wine. They had the most peculiar mannerisms. One of the guys had hair about 3 feet long, and he snapped his body back and forth to the beat, so that his hair almost looked like a metronome. :)

Plus, no one faced the audience unless they had to sing. If there were no mic stands and they were using headset mics... I'm sure we would have never seen their faces. Weird. They must play this way in someone's basement or garage and haven't adjusted their act yet.

But the music is good. :) It's another one of these bands where the vocals are really unimportant as a focus; they become another one of the instruments making up a constantly moving wall of sound. Also, unlike the classic rock I grew up with, not only are there no discernible vocals, there is no lead guitar riff per se, and no noticeable bass line, either.

Each guitar blends with the others into a pulsating strum pattern that almost takes on the feel of a heartbeat. The song sounds... organic, alive. Like a ruffed grouse that thrums its wings, but has no distinctive "call." This is one modern style of music that is truly new, I think. I like it. :) Sort of.

Okay, so .. their new CD is not yet out, although the merch table at the concert was selling them. I think they said it would be like August or something for general sales. But when it comes out, and gets up on iTunes, I'd recommend downloading: Chicago, Brad's House, And We Became Sunshine, Anthem of the Arctic Birds, Let It Be Known.


Flight of the Conchords Soundtrack Album: I guess you would have had to see it to understand. :) (I haven't; no HBO.) The songs are pretty funny just as they are, but to have seen them in context would make them a whole lot better, I don't doubt.

Ladies of the World is pretty hilarious just as it is; so is Foux de Fafa. And "It's Business Time" is soooo Barry White. Ohhh, baby. You gotta let me tell you just how Barry White is it, baby, yeahhh:

You see tonight's the night we make looove, because... it's Wednesday night, yeahhh. And you know we always make looove on Wednesday night, 'cause it's.. *our* night. So you see it doesn't matter if we're doing laundry together.. or just brushing our teeth together, baby, 'cause it's all.. foreplay.. and it's all.. beautifulllll. mmmmmm.

(but only if you brush in circles...) ;)

Well, I definitely want to see it now! Maybe I'll rent the first season this weekend. :) Either that or... Arrested Development. So many cultural phenomenae to catch up on...


Oh, and... ha. Speaking of cultural phenomena, I finally broke down and bought some Prince. :)

Amazon had a "best of" CD for $4.99, so I thought.. how can I resist? I really knew nothing about his music except his appearance on stage. When asked, I could not recall the tune to one single song of his! So, as I listened to the CD, I expected it all to be unfamiliar. It wasn't!

And sure, now that I hear some.. of course I've heard this before! I just never associated it with Prince. Not sure why, just never did. Maybe it's because his voice is so unremarkable. He sounds pretty generic sometimes. I think I prefer someone who can get funky like he does, but with a more distinctive voice, like Stevie or Gnarls.

So, Prince favorites: 7, I Wanna To Be Your Lover (the long version), 1999, I Would Die 4 U, Kiss, Sign O' The Times, Thieves in the Temple.

And no more pounding! Yay! The roof is done. I can hear myself think. :D

No comments:

Who links to my website?