Thursday, October 18, 2007

Stinking insurance companies..

I know, I know, I've worked for them all my adult life.

But there are times when they really deserve the lousy reputation they've got. And in part, it's why I want out. At least I want out of the ones who are in it only for making a solid return on equity (ROE), which is.. all of them now, I guess. :(

When I started the process of seeing a counselor, I checked with the insurance plan to see who was eligible. Dr. Shrink-wrap was on the list. So I go to him, spill my guts, start down a path of identifying and working on key issues, and.. what do you know? There's no coverage!

Apparently the insurer told my clinic some completely wrong information about Dr. S-w's eligibility as a provider. The clinic and I were both going forward in good faith, thinking it was all set. Nope. Ooops, gee we're sorry.

So now I either have to start completely over with another provider in a different clinic - yuk - or change insurance plans to one that this guy's qualified through, but is more expenseive and more restrictive in the number of visits, or... go uninsured at a discounted rate of half the normal one per session, but still 4x what my co-pay is.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.. so no appointments on the calendar now for a while until I sort this out.

But he did say that I was thinking about things properly, and heading in a good direction. He also said, though, that, as I change my patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving, and at the same time contine to deal with losses of all sorts, both fresh and long-standing, it will feel like I'm "white-knuckling" it for a while. I should expect it will feel like "going through withdrawals" until my patterns really change for good, and I get some distance from the old ones. :(

Gee, I feel better already.



Shifting gears a bit..

At RCIA classes last night, we began three weeks on the sacraments. Hoo boy, there is a lot going on in these. Sooooo many questions! So this may be a bit of a sticky wicket here. Oh, that darned John Calvin! His theological framework was just too appealing, too neat and tidy and consistent and.. parsimonious! ;) (Read parsimonious as: "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the right one.")

It's not easy to lay aside all I've understood as right for so many years. But as my "author of the week" in TS501 says (Esther Meek, "Longing to Know"): "..the circumstances of our lives at times force us into the cellar, so to speak, to examine the foundations of our beliefs."

Hmmm... it's kinda dark down here in the cellar of my foundational beliefs.. where's my flashlight? This feels kinda scary... gee, maybe I should've tied a rope around one ankle before I came down the stairs, just in case I...

woah, what was that?!?!?

Felt like a liberal thought brushing my cheek. Must be a spider web..

No comments:

Who links to my website?