Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Faith Crisis?

What faith crisis? :)

I think I got some perspective on it over the course of the last week, both from this textbook on "knowing" that we just finished, and the class lecture and discussion last night in TS501.

Really, I don't think it's so much a wavering of faith as it is a doubting of my theological framework - the grid through which I have been seeing God, me, others for the last 25+ years - the structure of my belief system.

Since late 1999, the neat and tidy system of theology that old Mr. Calvin left behind him as his legacy some 400+ years ago has been failing to contain within it my real-life experience (and the life experiences of others I know) in a satisfactory way. I believe the term is "cognitive dissonance" (when what I hold to be true doesn't square with reality.)

What Calvinism said about God and His relationship to the world, when compared to certain life situations I encountered, seemed either inadequate to explain them, or the explanation didn't line up with what I know to be true about God. I know that's murky, but.. unless you want me to lie on your couch for a couple of weeks to talk it all through.. it'll have to do.

And I think, after last night, I kind of get why.

It has to do with risk, uncertainty and passionate engagement. More later as I have time.. right now, I need to work!

No comments:

Who links to my website?