Monday, October 15, 2007

Anglicans & Catholics

Are not so far apart, I think.

Sunday we skipped the 60th anniversary festivities at Calvary (hard to relate to when you've been there a month) and went to Messiah Episcopal down in the Highland Park neighborhood. Smaller place, a bit newer than most Episcopal buildings I'm familiar with, but the same wooden stave ceiling that looks like the bottom of a ship.

Somebody told me once why they are all built that way, but I forget. Something about the church being like Noah's Ark?? Hm. Looks kinda funny when everything else around it is blond brick and glass, but... it's symbolic of something. I just can't remember what.

The service was constructed very much like the Mass - first the service of the Word and then the Holy Eucharist (and yes, they call it that.) Many of the prayers and the responses were the same. And because of the lectionary, the readings were the same as at Mass Saturday.

And they still do the Apostolic Succession thing with their college of Bishops, etc., and still hold to transubstantiation of the elements. Confession, Nicene creed, kneeling, sign of the cross, passing the peace.. it seemed pretty close.

The wine was a nasty sweet German white, though.. not good symbolism there, folks. I mean.. think Passover, people! Red wine, cut with water, served warm. And.. no dinner rolls for bread, please! The yeast!!

Must I go into the details of how Christ fulfills the feasts of Israel along with the prophecies? Liturgical servers: read St. Paul on Christ the Paschal Lamb, the Unleavened Bread of sincerity and truth..

But oh, the music during communion! D cried, so did I. This song by Michael Perry contains it all, in just a few well-chosen words:



Heal me, hands of Jesus, and search out all my pain;
Restore my hope, remove my fear, and bring me peace again.

Cleanse me, blood of Jesus, take all bitterness away;
Let me forgive as one forgiven, and bring me peace today.

Know me, mind of Jesus, and show me all my sin;
Dispel the memories of guilt, and bring me peace within.

Fill me, joy of Jesus, anxiety shall cease,
and heaven's serenity be mine, for Jesus brings me peace.

No comments:

Who links to my website?