Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Live your way into the answers

Got the nicest letter from J1 last week, encouraging me in the new job despite its lack of altruistic appeal. :) She's always been a natural encourager. And, she has the ability to know, somehow, where my heart is, even though we haven't sat down and talked.

In it, she quotes from Rainer Maria Rilke, author of "Letters to a Young Poet", to wit:

"I beg you... to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the question now. Perhaps then, some day far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

While I never heard this before today, at some subconscious level I think I first began to understand this idea of embracing the unresolved, about three years ago.

And you know what? Now for the first time, I actually feel like I've given myself permission to do this: have patience with the unresolved in my heart.. love the questions.. and live my way into the answers.

No comments:

Who links to my website?