Monday, October 01, 2007

Oh, that's me, all right

A couple of quotes from Sunday morning that struck home.

First:

There's a hole in my sidewalk, by Portia Nelson

******

I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I was lost. I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in. I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it's not my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in. It's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

I walk down a different street.

******

I know which stage(s) I've been in, and when, and which I'm in right now. Which are you in, dear reader?



The second quote is from Julie Gorman, in her book "A Community that is Christian":

******

Persons today hunger for intimacy. They long for someone to know and accept them as they are. They fear being known and judged. They want to be in a relationship where they can trust, where others will be committed to them when they are the least desirable. They long to be esteemed as individuals.

******

Yes. They do.

I do.

No comments:

Who links to my website?