Saturday, October 20, 2007

50 is the new 30?

Oh, I don't know...

That is what they're saying now (along with brown is the new black.) Maybe they say it because the people who are in charge of advertising agencies are 50ish and they want to feel better about themselves. ;)

But this morning, I actually believe it. Sort of.

Slept in until I woke naturally this morning, showered, shaved, had my coffee.. felt good all over, and the morning had dawned crisp and clear and cool after a week of rain.. so I thought "Go on! Try it! Maybe today!"

After the first half mile, no twinges in my knee. So far so good. After the second half mile, legs feel light, feet aren't like lead. So far so good. At 1.50 I found myself at the top of a little rise and actually forgot I had just gone up an incline. No sweat trickled into the eyebrow until 1.8, and I rounded for home knowing I had crossed what for me is a magic barrier, and still felt like I should keep going. :)

But I stopped at 2.08 miles and checked my time.. the same pace as I run for one mile. Wow. Never, ever have I done this.

At 30 I couldn't have run two miles straight if my life depended on it, much less do it at a "good" pace (according to Dr. Cooper's book.) Yeah, Fat Boy weighed less then, but had very little muscle tone and was so out of shape.. I feel so much better now.

Maybe there's something to this advertising slogan. When you're 30, you are supposed to have sort of an existential crisis at leaving your "youth" behind. Gee, that sounds freshly familiar, too.

Except that I'm not concerned about becoming part of the mistrusted "establishment" now, like you supposedly do at 30.. I'm actually working the first year of a 4 year plan to leave the establishment. :)

No comments:

Who links to my website?