Monday, December 05, 2005

Unexpected

A couple of unexpected things today.

First a clarification on the offer. It's NOT a VP title. It's an Asst. VP title, so not a step up, but a lateral. That explains the bonus opportunity being what it is (no higher than where I was), and the salary being advertised to me by the recruiter as having "no wiggle room" in it - firm as offered. Ah well. Doesn't affect anything but my pride... :)

And also, there is NO home purchase program available, but it sounds like the temporary living expenses are negotiable. So, perhaps we will have until Spring to sell the house, which will also mean that Deb can do her seasonal tax accounting job again, and will mean more trips back here for a while. It depends on what the recruiter can negotiate for me, how many additional days are possible. If she can get me 90 days, then we will have a slower transition of the household (which is good), but it will mean me living out of a hotel longer. Not so good.

Second, my interview today West of here got longer than I thought. I was slated to meet with one guy, but met instead with 3 additional ones, added halfway through the first interview, as the guy got more interested in me and felt he wanted others to meet me too. They were all surprised and so was I, but I had the time, so why not? :)

It's an organization in flux. Lots of changes in structure happening, and even 2 of the guys I met with today weren't quite sure what their roles would be tomorrow! But, the job would support two areas that are fairly stable, and it sounds absolutely fascinating... things I have skills in, but have never applied quite this way before. And, an oddball relationship back with my old company, who has a joint venture with this one, which I would be involved in managing. Very strange... Plus, another part of the job would involve setting standards of practice at a corporate level for all the other people at the company that are in my area of discipline. Hm...

Still, we have to wait for feedback from them to know if 1) they're interested in me at all, and 2) if they will move fast enough to make a difference in how I respond to the offer on the table. They are still defining the job, and could make it really fun for me if they did it right... :)

But, I'm NOT getting my hopes up for that. I have to move forward with what I know is firm, and trust that if this is the right job for me, something will happen to make that clear. At this point, I can't put off my response to the offer for more than another day or two.

Nor can I put off my drug test. :) Have to go in tomorrow or Wednesday for that. Darn. Now all that partying over the weekend is going to catch up with me, I just know it... ;)

No comments:

Who links to my website?