Thursday, December 22, 2005

Much better day today

Still a little queasy, but far better than Tuesday. Got through the scheduled interviews and then made up the two I cut short on Tuesday over the lunch hour today. The guy I bailed out on Tuesday said today "you look much better!" Yup. I was.

Nice people. They'd be good to work with. The job actually seems a little better than when I first heard about it. A little less emphasis on grunt work than I originally thought, and a little more opportunity for innovation here and there, and the occasional something interesting to work on from time to time.

One of the interviewers asked me "how long before you'll get bored with this job?" I just had to laugh. I'd been asking myself that for a while. I conservatively said that I thought 3 years or so would be enough to get the role defined and things running nicely. But it's more like 18 months....

It is just not as challenging professionally, with nowhere near the opportunity for advancement as the one I accepted in New England. But that doesn't mean it's absent of both. It's not. And, really a very nice place to work, happy atmosphere, low cost of living, etc.

One of the other interviewers asked me why I had come back to my current/former/just-ended job, when it looked on paper like I had lost an officer title to do it. That's true, I did. But... the move to this community was really a lifestyle-driven one, not a career-driven one. And, that's what the job I interviewed for today would be, too. It would be for lifestyle reasons only.

And how do you measure the importance of those? Lots of other people enter into the decision, then, and take on a larger role in it. Less of me, more of them. But... less of me in the decision still has an impact on them, too, as I live with the long-term results of the decision. Indirectly, yes, but still an impact, because try as I might, I still will bring the job and its effects home with me.

So, now we wait again. I have a direction set. I'm getting ready for it. All I am waiting for now is to see if anything or anyone is going to change that direction. I leave for New England in 3 weeks.

No comments:

Who links to my website?