Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Curiouser & Curiouser

Well, as they say...

when it rains it pours.

Now a third position has opened in the same city to our West, at a company I had talked with a couple of months ago. At that time, they needed approval from a foreign parent to approve the addition to staff, and didn't get it. Now, instead, they have a vacancy to fill that needs no approval. The head of the department there contacted me at home last night, and on my way to my other interviews today (details below), we had lunch and kicked things around. I think I can meet needs that he has. He knows about the offer I have in play, and said he can't react quite fast enough to counter it, but does want to keep talking. So do I.

The other company I interviewed with today, per previous plan, is a very different atmosphere than the one Monday. More laid back and relaxed. The position in question is also one with probably very little stress associated with it - a research unit of sorts, with one or two large company-wide projects a year to handle. Lower pay, no doubt - I knew that already. But how low? Don't know yet. Professionally not the same level of excitement or challenge, but good for a slower lifestyle, if that's what's best...

is it?

They have one other candidate they are interviewing and thought they would be able to tell me something by the end of this week. No feedback yet from Monday's bizarre interviews, nor any feedback yet from the New England company on my negotiating points the recruiter posed to them. Will talk with her Wednesday to see what they think, if anything, and update her on the events of today.

I still don't think I will know enough by the end of the week to say "no" to New England, but...

Do I say "yes" to them, while still carrying on discussions with 3 other companies? Do I stop the discussions upon accepting? Or disclose those discussions to the N.E. company and risk them losing interest in me, or thinking that I'm just playing them for leverage?

I'm not playing them. I'll certainly go, and plan to, if nothing else intervenes that's comparable. It's a good job, and fair compensation. Just an unattractive location to all concerned. Nobody WANTS to go there. And, so far, I don't see anything comparable, in large part because no one has talked compensation on the three remaining discussions. But, what if something does emerge from those - after I've accepted? Do I ignore it?

I don't like being in this position. I'm unsure of how to think. It reminds me of Jesus' comments to His disciples: “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves." and "For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light." Am I being too smart for my own good, or not smart enough, in my dealings with these businesses?

What do I disclose, to whom, and when?

Comments are welcome.

No comments:

Who links to my website?