Monday, December 12, 2005

A mixed blessing

The recruiter called. And the news was... mixed.

First off, the N.E. company acceeded to my requests for a minimum of 90 days temporary living expense, and for more vacation (30 days!). :) She told them we would respond by Wednesday AM. Gulp! But, I know what I will say. Because...

The feedback from Monday's interviews is... very good. They want me to come back and meet a couple more people. :) By Thursday! Because, the main guy I met with, who's coordinating things, will leave Thursday for the rest of the year. :( Which means, even if it goes well again - there'll be no answers until after 1/1.

No feedback at all yet from Tuesday's interviews on the dullest job of the bunch. :(

And the guy I had lunch with Tuesday... is out of the office until Friday, but the HR gal is setting me up with 8-10 more people!!! :) But, not until next week. Tuesday the 20th 8 - noon, and Thursday the 22th 8 - noon. And of course, finishing interviews two days before Christmas means no decisions there until after 1/1, either. :(

So... since all the "local" ones are so nebulous, and won't gel at all until January, and could just as easily go nowhere as produce an offer...

Wednesday morning I will accept the offer to go to N.E., and start mentally gearing up for the move. And it's a good faith acceptance, too, because none of the rest have jumped out at me and said "You're our man - don't worry. We'll work out a deal for you!", and that's what I would have needed, to say no to N.E., and nobody has said that.

So far, it's just normal interview processes that are ruling the day locally, and I've had many of those that went nowhere. Nobody's shortcutting the process for me. I can't bank on them producing an offer. I may not even hear definitive answers before I'd actually need to be in N.E. to start the new job! I mean, how long did it take to produce an offer there? 3 months!!!

I will probably start there on 1/9. I may ask for another week, a 1/16 start, so that the 90 days temporary living runs through 4/15 and the end of tax season, but I doubt they'd want to wait that long.

So, it looks like we're off! Anything can still happen, of course, but... I have to move forward, and start to get excited about it. Nothing here is yelling "Stop! Stay!" And until it does... we're moving East! Start the clock... 4 weeks left...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We welcome you back East.

Calvin

Who links to my website?